2.10 Steps To Change Your Beliefs
“If you don’t change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?”
CHANGING YOUR BELIEFS
(Take out a sheet of paper and use it to go through the 10 steps listed below)
- Choose the area of your life where you want to make a change. What area would make the biggest impact on your life?
- Write down all of your beliefs in that area. Think back to your childhood and what you picked up as a child from your parents, friends, teachers and others who had an impact in your formative years. What did you observe and hear repeatedly?
- Decide what core belief you want to change. Only choose one. Of all the beliefs you wrote down in step 2, which one would have the biggest impact on your life if you changed it to something more positive?
- Write down why it’s so important for you to change this belief. Until your reason to change is stronger than your reason to stay the same, it’s fruitless to fool yourself into thinking you can change such strongly held beliefs. How has it damaged you in the past and what’s possible in your future if you make the change? Without a “why” that matters deeply to you, any change is short-lived.
- Argue with this belief. Pretend that a friend holds this belief and you can’t believe they could be so dumb as to believe this. Show them all the evidence to the contrary. Show them how damaging this belief has been. Whenever they defend their belief, come up with more reasons why it’s false.
- Create a new, positive, more empowering belief. It will probably be the opposite of the belief you’re trying to change.
- Visualize your life in detail when you’ve changed your old belief into the new one. What’s now possible for you? Now that you’ve taken down the old perceived walls, where will you go and what do you see yourself doing? How do you feel now that you’re living the life you previously thought impossible?
- Every day, as you wake up, as you go to sleep and as often during the day as you can, repeat your new belief (preferably out loud) and feel the feelings you experienced in step 7. Feeling those new feelings on a regular basis is one of the most important aspects of this change process.
- Every day, at the end of the day, write down one to three things, large or small, that you will do the following day to disprove the old belief and reinforce the new belief and move you closer to the life you envisioned in step 7.
- The next day, do what you wrote down the night before as soon as you can. Action is incredibly powerful. Ideas, thoughts, and beliefs can swim around in your head creating havoc or heaven. Nothing will reinforce what you’re capable of more powerfully than taking action.